Should you invest in the best tarp stakes? If I were you, I would do this in a heartbeat.
Camping with tarps is a pleasurable experience. They provide added protection to your tents, especially if the weather is pretty unruly.
Of course, you will really need your tarp to be immovable and stable before you can enjoy its benefits. Fortunately, having the right kind of stakes allows you to accomplish this simple errand. Don’t fret. You don’t need extra heavy-duty pegs to get this job right.
Table of Contents
- 1 Best Tarp Stakes: A Complete Rundown
- 2 How To Choose The Best Tarp Stakes
- 3 Conclusion
Best Tarp Stakes: A Complete Rundown
1. SE Heavy-Duty Metal Stake Set – Editor’s Pick
- 20 green tough PVC stoppers features both hook and rope-stringing eyelet for anchoring versatility
- Milled points prod easily into hard soil with large head for mallet driving
- Heavy-duty 8 mm galvanized steel pegs for superior rust and corrosion resistance with thermoplastic T-top
- Essential tool for anchoring canopies, landscape trims, patio and garden structures, tents, and more
- Heavy-duty set of 10-1/2" long peg stakes
The SE Heavy-Duty Stakes are everything that you need when setting up a tarp on the field. These stakes are all-purpose, which means that you can use them in virtually any type of terrain. They have rugged construction and durability that you can trust.
Each of the stakes is made from galvanized steel. They are tough and impervious to rust and corrosion. You can expose them to the elements without getting damaged.
The sharp tip of these tents can pierce through hard soil. Meanwhile, the length of these stakes is sufficient enough for you to anchor them as deeply as possible. Their heads are robust, too. Even if you hammer them strongly, they won’t deform or break.
The PVC stoppers of these stakes prevent the latter from being buried entirely. When it is time for removal, these stoppers allow you to retrieve the stakes easily.
- Highly durable construction
- Resistant to rust and corrosion
- Lightweight and portable
- Features reliable holding power
- Can pierce hard grounds
- The plastic heads are pretty weak in the cold
2. TNH Outdoors Aluminum Tri-Beam Tent Stakes – Runner-Up
- ✔ A BETTER DESIGN: All Tent Stakes are EXACTLY THE SAME, with so many overnight sellers making it a dangerous market place. A real brand is built on innovation and TNH Outdoors has designed STRONG STAKES with a RE DESIGNED head which is ENGINEERED not to BREAK.
- ✔ YOUR VOTE: The Outdoors is under threat from many factors and you as a consumer have THE CHOICE to vote for a low impact brand and TNH Outdoors has a strong mission to REDUCE WASTE. You are the DIFFERENCE and we encourage you to read more online or in the product description section below.
- ✔ HIGHLY VISIBLE - In racing red, the tri-beam ground stakes WILL NOT BE LOST in the long grass! The highly reflective paracord also ensures easy removal and visibility so you don't unnecessarily kick them around your tent at night. Ouch!
- ✔ MORE STAKES IN THE KIT - With a total of eight ground stakes all packaged in their own functional pouch, this kit is ready to drop straight into your tent bag. No fuss or hassle involved, the hardest thing for you to do is find a use for those old tent pegs!
- ✔ GUARANTEED - The TNH brand offers THE BEST VALUE and we stand by our HIGH RATING! Better still, if for any reason you are unsatisfied, just let us know and we'll fix it. From refund to replacement, we're here to make sure you are satisfied. Because your business is the most important thing to us, we treat our customers how we would expect to be treated ourselves.
The TNH Tri-Beam Tent Stakes are also a wonderful choice for staking your tarps. They have an innovative build that ensures their rigidity and stability whenever using them.
As has been stated, these stakes are made from aluminum. While it is true that the aluminum used on these stakes is not the toughest, they still possess exceptional durability. They are lightweight, too, which is something that you want for simple camping, tailgate, and picnic trips.
One of the interesting feats of these tent stakes is their visibility. Even if you place them in a grassy area, they won’t get lost. Their brilliant red color simply stands out in contrast. You can see them even during the night.
Of course, the tri-beam design of these stakes enables them to have impregnable holding power. This simply means that they are not susceptible to wobbling or shaking whenever they are latched on the ground.
- Visible in different lighting conditions
- Ensure holding stability
- Includes a reflective paracord for quick removal
- Can penetrate a variety of soils
- Lightweight and durable
- May bend if hammered strongly
3. Vargo Ti Shepherds Hook Stake – Budget-Friendly Pick
- Ti shepherds hook Stake orange
- Category name: camping-survival
- Made in USA or imported
- Classic tent stake design
- Great for most staking applications
If you want simple but efficient stakes, I suggest that you get the Ti Shepherds Hook Stakes. Each of the stakes is made from the United States, which solidify their durability and overall quality.
These stakes are made for pitching tents. But certainly, you can also use them on your tarps. After all, the stakes are designed to handle a myriad of staking applications.
Keep in mind that these stakes are made from titanium. It is more robust than aluminum but features exceptional lightness. You will be able to bring them anywhere without being burdened by any weight. The stakes flaunt durability that can withstand any elements.
Interestingly, the head of the stakes is coated with orange fluorescent paint. It enables them to possess reflective properties so that you can see them even in conditions where the visibility is poor.
- Extremely durable construction
- Can stake tarps with guaranteed stability
- Features decent holding power
- Comes with visible heads
- Doesn’t corrode
- Slightly prone to wobbling
4. MSR Groundhog Tent Stake Kit – Premium Pick
The MSR stakes are definitely among the most trusted pegs in today’s market. Regardless of your intended application, you can guarantee that there’s an MSR stake that can suit your needs.
For instance, the MSR Groundhog is considered to be one of the versatile opuses that this brand built. Aside from tents, they are also rated to stake tarps steadily. The kit contains six ultra-lightweight and durable stakes. They are tailored from 7000-series aluminum, which is designed to withstand adverse weather conditions without deforming.
These stakes have Y-shape construction. Such a design enables them to hold the ground with such steadfastness. They don’t move, shake, or wobble, which is something that you need if you don’t want your tarp to get toppled or damaged.
Meanwhile, the notch on the head of the MSR Groundhog is capable of securing the tautness of the guylines. The loops on the top, on the other hand, simplify the task of pulling and retrieving the stakes conveniently.
- Features peerless stability and holding power
- Extremely rugged and durable
- Ideal for different types of terrains
- Provides efficient means of securing guylines
- Surprisingly lightweight
- The tip of the stakes get blunt if they get hit hard surfaces
5. Yard Tuff YTF-3818RS-12PK Rebar Stakes
- Heavy-duty with a durable construction, these Yard Tuff rebar stakes are made of 3/8” steel
- At 18” long and 3/8” in diameter, these stakes penetrate deep into the ground for a secure hold. The ribbed exterior of the stakes gives them added no-slip properties so these stakes will hold tight in the ground
- Drive these stakes into the soil easily with the angled ends. Each stake features a 1” loop on its end for securing ropes and straps
- This Yard Tuff product is perfect for a variety of uses in your yard, garden, campground, and much more. Use these stakes as a way to tie up your pets, hold your canopies in place, secure your tent, aid your garden plants, fasten tarps, tie your bales, hold your gazebos, and more!
- Includes 12 rebar stakes; 1 year limited Manufacturer’s warranty
The Yard Tuff Rebar Stakes are a great choice for staking tarps. It is a delight to use them because they are simple but downright effective. These stakes are highly durable, as they are crafted from 3/8-inch steel. They are definitely not prone to corroding and do not bend or deform.
The length of these stakes allows you to bury them as deeply as you want. With the overall length of 18 inches, the stakes can be driven to the ground with enough strength to hold your tarps or tents. The ribbed exterior is also proof that these stakes are not prone to slipping or moving.
Staking these pegs to the ground is not a difficult process, thanks to their sharp-angled tips. Meanwhile, you can easily tie ropes and guylines to them due to the hooks attached to their heads.
Just like most of the stakes here, the Yard Tuff stakes are versatile. They are usable for tents, canopies, gazebos, and other amenities. They are quite simple but downright extensive.
- One of the longest stakes in the market
- Applicable in different staking uses
- Ribbed design prevents unwanted movement
- Holds tarps and tents steadily
- User-friendly attachment points for ropes and guylines
- Tip is a little too pointed; requires careful handling
How To Choose The Best Tarp Stakes
Camping is a breeze, especially if it is done for the sake of leisure or taking a break. Of course, who doesn’t want to experience the fresh air while witnessing the majestic grandeur of natural scenery?
Tarps can ensure that you can enjoy more, as they provide guaranteed protection against the elements. They have been used by campers and enthusiasts since time immemorial.
However, the main issue of these tarps is their stability. Even a weak blow of wind can move them out of position. They would flap and puff from time to time if they are not secured to the ground.
These tarp stakes are crucial to prevent these nuisances from happening. If they are vital components for the stability of your tent, then you should treat them with the same importance for your tarps. You need to choose the right stakes, though, to ensure that you will be able to enjoy their performance.
When choosing a tarp stake, the material is an essential factor. Now, I know that you will hold me accountable when I said earlier that there are no excessive requirements for a good tarp stake.
Of course, that should be the case. But don’t ever think that bringing a wooden or plastic peg would make you smile. These pegs should be your last resort. You have time to prepare for your trips. Hence, you should be able to pick stakes that should do the job.
- Aluminum is the most popular choice here. It is lightweight and durable at the same time. It is not expensive, too, which is downright impressive for general camping and outdoor purposes.
- You can also pick steel stakes. They are incredibly sturdy and durable. While it is true that they are not the lightest option, they are resistant to various elements. They are impervious to corrosion and rust. Since they have a tough body, piercing hard grounds is a walk in the park for them.
- Next, you can go for titanium stakes. Their durability and lightness are better than aluminum. However, they are quite expensive. But I can say that their price extremely matches their performance.
- If you have sufficient finances, why not try carbon fiber tent stakes? I know that they are not easy to find. But if you can, get them right away. These stakes have superb engineering that makes them an all-rounder. They can deal with any conditions because of their toughness and resistance to various deformities. Don’t ever think that they are too much for your tarps. Remember: having a reliable set of stakes is genuinely a game-changer.
As you have seen, there are multiple designs for tent stakes. Some of them are straightforward, while others are entirely unique.
- We have shepherd’s hooks, which are great for simple staking applications. They have a hook head that enables you to attach guylines and ropes as securely as possible. But at the same time, they are not prone to movement. You need to secure them with rocks or wood so that they won’t wobble.
- V-shape stakes are also great. Their shape enables them to hold the ground without unnecessary shaking or rotations. Once they are affixed beneath the surface, they would provide a stable hold. Attaching ropes and guylines with these stakes is not a difficult process, too.
- Y-shape stakes are indeed the epitome of stability. It is one of the reasons why they can be used in any terrains and soil types. They simply ensure that your tarp or tent won’t move once they are anchored to the ground. Y-shape stakes excel in the aspect of stability. Usually, they are made from robust materials, too.
- Ribbed and spiral stakes are considered to be the latest trend for tarp stakes. They are a good choice, especially if the ground is loose. In short, they work well in sandy and snowy terrains.
The length of the stake is vital for tarps. Keep in mind that tarps should have an impregnable hold to the ground. Otherwise, they can easily be blown or removed.
To solve this problem, you just need stakes that can generate enough stability once they are driven below. You want the stakes to be as long as possible. Maybe around six inches or higher. That should do the job. The longer the stakes, the firmer the support they can provide to your tarp.
Of course, you should not worry about fully burying them. Most of these stakes have stoppers in their head that would prevent you from sinking them entirely. Loops are also attached to them so that you can pull them out anytime that you want.
Spending the weekends with your camping tarps is an enjoyable adventure. It lets you experience the beauty of the world without being deterred by the weather. The only thing that you need is to ensure that they won’t be stripped from the position you placed them. Of course, the best tarp stakes can help you deal with this matter.
I hope that you learned from this guide. If you have related questions, feel free to drop them in the comment section!