Pitching a tent in the sand requires the service of the best sand tent stakes. They are essential components that would ensure the stability of your shelter in an ironically unstable surface.
Fortunately, there’s a minimal fuss when it comes to choosing tent stakes for sand and other grainy grounds. You just have to look for something that can punch through and remain steady throughout the duration of use.
Check out the following tent stakes for sand. They should do the job!
Table of Contents
- 1 Reviews Of The Best Sand Tent Stakes
- 2 How To Choose The Best Sand Tent Stakes
- 3 Tips In Staking In Sandy Terrains
- 4 Conclusion
Reviews Of The Best Sand Tent Stakes
1. MSR Groundhog Tent Stake Kit – Editor’s Pick
- 6-pack of lightweight, durable, and versatile camping and backpacking tent stakes that stay put
- Three-sided Y-beam design offers superior penetration and holding power in a variety of soil types
- Notch at top for securing guy lines; attached reflective pull loop allows for easy removal
- Constructed from 7000-series aluminum; stakes are lightweight, yet rugged
- Includes six individual tent stakes; each tent stake weighs 0.46 ounces, and measures 7.5 inches long
Dealing with sandy terrains is quite doable as long as you have the MSR Groundhog Tent Stakes. These stakes are genuinely one-of-a-kind. It is capable of being pound to any type of soil–including sand and snow.
The MSR Groundhog is a kit composed of six stakes, which should be enough for your needs. Each of the stakes is lightweight and highly durable. Hammer them, and their heads or body won’t bend at all.
The stability of the tents is assured, thanks to their Y-shape bodies. They are not susceptible to moving or rotating once they are on the ground already. Moreover, they also offer guaranteed penetration and holding prowess regardless of where you put them up.
The notch on the top of the stakes are incredibly sufficient in holding guylines. They have reflective loops, too, for quick access and removal.
- Impressive stability
- Guaranteed holding power
- Works on any soil types
- Made from lightweight and rugged 7000-series aluminum
- Can be removed easily
- Its paint can strip off quickly
2. TRIWONDER Aluminum Tent Stakes – Runner-Up
- ✅ COMPACT & LIGHTWEIGHT -- Ultra-light, three-sided, High-strength aluminum stakes that can anchor your tent securely without adding unnecessary weight to your journey
- ✅ GRIP FIRMLY -- The tent stakes with multi-teeth design for adjusting wind rope flexibly, can be inserted into the soft ground smoothly, V shape design that grasps the ground more firmly
- ✅ SAFETY PROMISE -- This tent pegs penetrate and hold firmly in a wide range of soil conditions even in the cold winter. There is no worry about being blown away on a windy night
- ✅ EXTENSIVE APPLICATION -- The tent anchor stake made of heavy-duty aluminum with bright and fadeless luster, ideal for fixing a tent or tarp. Great for Camping, Beach, Awning, Garden, etc
- ✅ 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEED -- 18 Months Warranty. If you are not happy with your purchase for any reason, simply send it back for a full refund. No questions asked !
The TRIWONDER Aluminum Tent Stakes are pegs that can provide stability in your tent in sandy soils. The stakes have been constructed to ensure holding power and balance whenever you punch them on the ground.
The Y-shape construction of each of the stakes contributes to their overall functionality. They simply don’t move, especially if you have been pushed deeply enough. Keep in mind that these stakes are made from high-strength aluminum, which is more than impressive already.
Another unique feature of these tent stakes is the existence of the multi-teeth design near its head. They ensure proper grip to the ground. Moreover, they prevent the stakes from being moved from the wind or unstable surfaces. These teeth can also help you adjust the tautness of the guylines.
You shouldn’t worry about the weight of these stakes. One of these aluminum alloy pegs only weighs approximately 0.5 ounces. Bringing them on any trip would never bother you at all.
- Lightweight and compact construction
- Ensures powerful grip in any soil type
- Luster and visibility don’t wear off
- Impervious to deforming
- Easy to install and removed
- Some parts are notably sharp; extra caution is required in handling
3. Sahara Sailor Tent Stakes – Budget-Friendly Pick
- Never Deformed Tent Stakes - At 0.35 oz each, the stake is pretty lightweight for backpacking or camping, but also strong enough deal with any camping land. In our holding strength test, it could hold well over 50 lbs of force. Even on hard ground with gravel and stone, it will not deform
- Multi-Functional Hammer-The head and hook of tent mallet are made of forged high-carbon steel for strength, durability and rust prevention. With Ultra-light aluminum alloy handle, the camp mallet weighs only 13.4oz. The included red cord can prevent tent mallet hammer slip during operation
- Suit for Every Camping Family-Tent stakes is suitable for nailing tents, canopies, tarps, and etc. to the ground. Perfect for outdoors camping and backpacking, hiking, Gardening and etc. Long and large tent stakes make sure your camping trip safe in the tents.No matter windy or rainy
- Top Camping Accessories-Kit includes: 1-Lightweight (10.2in,0.84lb) camping hammer,8-heavy duty iron tent stakes(9.8in, 0.35lbs), comes with an individual collection bag, which will be packed in a box
- 12 Month Quality Warranty-Sahara Sailor offers premium tent stakes for your camp and garden while offering a 12-month warranty. If you have any problems with the stakes or hammer, please contact us
The Sahara Sailor Tent Stakes is a value-friendly and affordable option for every beach camper out there. The stakes are designed for flexibility; it can be used in any terrain, even those that are considered extremely rugged.
Interestingly, the stakes are strong enough to withstand 50 pounds of force. This means that even if you hammer them, their heads or bodies won’t break. They are not prone to deformities, which further solidifies their value.
The head of these stakes is quite flat. They enable you to hammer them to the ground with efficiency. Such a feature is useful if you need the stakes to have a deep hold–an essential factor when pitching a tent or tarp on the sand. The tip of the stakes is sharp, too, for guaranteed penetrating power.
Interestingly, the Sahara Sailor Tent Stakes comes with a mallet on its package. The head of this mallet is made from forged high-carbon steel for durability and strength.
- Penetrates any type of ground
- Not susceptible to bending or breaking
- Long enough to provide sufficient holding power
- Compact construction
- Includes an eyelet hole for quick guyline attachment
- The stakes are not lightweight
4. MSR ToughStake Snow/Sand Stakes – Premium Pick
- Engineered to provide a solid, reliable anchor in snow and sand, even in challenging weather
- Self-diving design dives deeper into loose conditions when tension is placed on the cable, and their spade head helps to further lock them into place
- Strong, aircraft-grade aluminum and a stainless steel cable offer excellent durability
- Small sizes are sold as a package of 4; medium sizes are sold as a package of 2
- Made in the USA
One of the best tent stakes for sand and snow that you can get is the MSR ToughStake. The ToughStake is a set of stakes that are engineered to generate stability and firmness in terrains where stoutness is quite volatile. They are suited to deal with severe weather conditions.
These stakes have been constructed to have a self-diving design. Once there’s enough suspension on the guyline, this feature allows you to drive them as deeply as possible to any loose grounds. Meanwhile, their spade-shaped head adds more locking capability to the stakes.
You can never get wrong with the construction of these tent stakes. After all, they are tailored from aircraft-grade aluminum for maximum durability and strength. They don’t break even if you pound them with force.
Furthermore, the stakes are notably lightweight. They are great for every backpacking trip. They don’t add a significant load to your bag.
- Stakes do well in unstable grounds
- Remains stable in different weather conditions
- Made from highly rugged material
- Not susceptible to bending or breaking
- Provides excellent holding power
- The cable that comes with the stakes are skimpy
5. Coghlan’s 9309 ABS Tent Pegs
- Large no-slip hook
- Great holding power
- Bright, easy to see
- 9" overall length
- Sport type: Camping & Hiking
The Coghlan’s 9309 ABS Tent Pegs is a suitable set of stakes that you can use on sandy terrains. The structure of these stakes is broad, enabling them to create a steady and firm hold to the ground.
Moreover, they have a sufficient length that allows its users to burrow them as deeply as possible. They can be pitched without being too wobbly or shaky. These capabilities made them excel as all-terrain stakes. Moreover, the V-shape design of their rugged body further to their stability.
These stakes come with large no-slip hooks. Attaching guylines and cables here won’t become a problem. Interestingly, the bright paint of these pegs improves their overall visibility. You won’t lose them because of their contrasting color to the background.
Sure enough, these stakes are indeed durable. They have high resistance to bending and other forms of deformities.
- Large-bodied stakes for added holding power
- Comes with sharp tips so that you can penetrate them to ground
- Can be pulled from the ground quickly
- Bright and visible paint
- Not susceptible to movements
- They are too wide for some applications
How To Choose The Best Sand Tent Stakes
Going to the beach and setting a campsite, there is indeed a riveting experience. The breeze of the wind and the sound of the crashing waves further add to the delight of staying on the shores.
Sure enough, beach camping is not difficult. But at the same time, you need to make sure that you can pitch a tent on its sandy soil. Otherwise, you will never have a solid shelter where you can lie on.
Sand, as a terrain, is similar to snow. They are characterized by being loose. They should not be classified as soft either, like loam or clay. The best way to describe them is grainy. Hence, without the proper stakes, erecting a tent on these surfaces might become a stressful process.
Fortunately, the stakes that you need to deal with the sand are not that hard to find. There are numerous choices that you can select. You simply have to know what kind of stake can fit this need.
When it comes to the design, stakes that have wide bodies can provide stability and holding power. Their construction is engineered to take hold on various surfaces, regardless if they are soft or hard.
Moreover, the shape of the stakes matters here as well. Again, V-shaped and Y-shaped stakes are the most recommended here. Their unique shape prevents unnecessary movements once you drive them down to the ground. They anchor firmly, and that’s what you need whenever you are setting a tent on beaches or deserts.
Alternatively, stakes that have spiral bodies might also do the job. Apparently, their swirling structure can provide a certain degree of “hold” and stability on loose grounds. Just make sure that their bodies are wide enough to make a sufficient grip.
It is essential that the stakes you choose are long enough to be buried deep. Sand is typically rickety on the shallow surface. Therefore, you need to drive the stakes as deeply as possible so that it can gain a firm hold.
Now, doing this is not that difficult. After all, sand is not a rugged ground. But at the same time, you cannot make a deep perforation if the stakes are short. You need them to be as long as possible.
The ideal length of stakes for these particular applications is around 7 inches. That’s the minimum. If you want the pegs to have a secure hold to the sand, you have to make sure that they are far from being short.
The stability of your tent is dependent on how taut you can tie the guyline to the peg. It is for this purpose why you need a set of stakes that have an ergonomic cable attachment system. If you can tie the lines tightly and strongly, adjusting the structure of your tent is quite doable, even on sandy surfaces.
Now, there are different mechanisms for these attachment systems. Pick the one that you are compatible with or convenient with. It would also be great if you know a myriad of tying and looping techniques. Such skills would make tent pitching a lot easier.
Shape Of The Tip
You also need to pay attention to the shape of the tip of the stake. The tip is the opposite of the head. It is the one that makes the first contact with the ground.
As I said earlier, driving a stake in the sand is not a complicated task due to the latter’s loose characteristic. But if you want to make things a lot easier for you, get a set of stakes that have sharp tips. They are designed to penetrate surfaces–especially if you need them to be driven deeply to the ground.
There are no problems when it comes to stakes that have blunt tips. You just need to dig a hole first so that you can bury them right away.
Tips In Staking In Sandy Terrains
It is not enough that you have the right kind of tent stakes when it comes to pitching tents in the sand. You also need to know the right methods on how to do it.
- The first thing that you need to do is to make holes where you are going to put the stakes. Each of the holes should be filled with rocks, sandbags, or other hard objects. They will help add to the stability of the stakes.
- Alternatively, you can also tie the stake to a stick. Use a rope to bind them together. This would add more tautness and firmness to the stakes as you anchor them down.
- Don’t pitch your tent somewhere near the water. The ground there is exceptionally loose, and your tent is highly susceptible from being drenched or swept by the water. Of course, the same thing is with your stakes. Maintain a safe distance between your campsite and any bodies of water.
The best sand tent stakes provide a reliable outdoor experience. Without them, it would be impossible for your tent to remain stable. The wind and the loose ground can deliberately topple your shelter away. That’s not a laughable experience, honestly.
Get any of those tent stakes that I’ve recommended here. They can ensure that your tent or tarp will be immovable throughout your trip.
I hope that you learned from this guide. If you have other questions, shoot them in the comment section below.