Have you ever thought about investing in the best camping coffee makers? If so, you are just on the right part on the internet.
Camping has been a desirable venue for relaxation. Nature is a cradle, after all. It keeps you away from anything stressful, especially if the scenery is heavenly.
But did you know that there’s still a way to improve this kind of delightful experience? How? Of course, having a cup of hot and soothing coffee. It gives you the pleasure of enjoying the trip while keeping your body and mind calm.
Here are some of the coffee makers that are worthy of being taken outdoors.
Table of Contents
- 1 Best Camping Coffee Makers
- 2 How To Choose The Best Camping Coffee Maker
- 3 Conclusion
Best Camping Coffee Makers
1. AeroPress Coffee and Espresso Maker – Editor’s Pick
- Popular with coffee enthusiasts worldwide, the patented AeroPress is a new kind of coffee press that uses a rapid, total immersion brewing process to make smooth, delicious, full flavored coffee without bitterness and with low acidity.
- Good-bye French Press! The rapid brewing AeroPress avoids the bitterness and high acidity created by the long steep time required by the French press. Plus, the AeroPress paper Microfilter eliminates grit and means clean up takes seconds.
- Makes 1 to 3 cups of American coffee per pressing in about a minute, and unlike a French press, it can also brew espresso style coffee for use in lattes, cappuccinos and other espresso based drinks.
- Perfect for home kitchen use, the AeroPress is lightweight, compact, portable and durable, making it also ideal for traveling, camping, backpacking, boating and more!
- Includes the AeroPress press, funnel, scoop, stirrer, 350 microfilters and a filter holder. Shipped in frustration-free packaging (no retail box inside). Parts are packaged loosely, not in bags. Phthalate free and BPA free. Mug not included. Assembled measurements: 9 1/2" h X 4" w X 4" d
One of the best coffee makers for hiking and other outdoor adventures is definitely the AeroPress. It’s a popular choice among brewers and enthusiasts because of its simplicity and effectiveness to make soul-satisfying coffees.
This patented coffee maker is using a quick and thorough immersion process in brewing so that your coffee ground will reach its full taste. It will not make things bitter nor acidic. Of course, such feats are possible because this coffee maker doesn’t have the long steep time of French press.
Moreover, it also comes with the AeroPress paper microfilter that removes the grit and enhances the clean-up process. This coffee maker is a perfect company for a mess-free adventure.
The AeroPress Coffee and Espresso Maker is capable of making 1 to 3 cups of coffee in a minute. You can also use it to brew espresso for cappuccinos and lattes. With this item, you have a portable coffee shop in the wild.
- Produces clean and delicious coffee
- Enables quick clean-up
- Comes with microfilter for a grit-free drink
- Can brew espresso coffee
- Lightweight and compact
- No notable drawbacks
2. Coffee Gator French Press Coffee Maker – Runner-Up
- Flavor - Hate boring, cold coffee? We do too! Our huge capacity coffee press is vacuum-layered and double-filtered to bring you a flavor more full than your email inbox. Oh yeah, you even get a mini canister for storing your next caffeine hit
- Keep it steamy - the stainless steel french press keeps coffee (or tea) warm 60 minutes longer than glass coffee presses! It also has a cool-touch handle and a spring-loaded, double-screen filter that will deliver one mean and clean cup of joe
- Professional grade in every way - This insulated french press brewer is tough, durable and rust proof. Unlike glass, it won’t break when you drop it (but your floor might need some attention). Your search for coffee that makes you smile ends here
- Unique & next level design - The coffee french press is uniquely designed to keep sediment out of your cup while letting the delicious coffee oils into it. This results in a richer, full-bodied brew that will leave you grinning from ear to ear
- A thoughtful gift - Do you know someone who camps a lot or spends their mornings out on the lake? This camping french press is a practical device that can brew them up some camping coffee and provide what few gifts can... convenience
The Coffee Cator French Press Coffee Maker is a solid choice for any outdoor enthusiast. This one features an ergonomic, double-walled stainless steel insulation so that your coffee remains hot while inside. Of course, I know that cold coffee is boring, especially if you are camping. Hence, such a feature is extremely handy.
Moreover, this coffee press is double-filtered and vacuum-layered so that it can produce coffee in full flavors. There’s also a mini canister that comes in the package where you can store extra coffee.
The 304 stainless steel construction of this coffee maker is thicker and heavier than most of its counterparts. Because of its insulation, the coffee inside will remain fresh and hot for an hour. There’s also a cool handle on the brewer so that your hands will not get scorched.
Meanwhile, the double-screen, spring-loaded filter of the Coffee Gator enables a clean brew. You’ll enjoy its performance, as it is crafted with finesse in mind. Of course, it is rust-proof and durable, enabling it as a great coffee maker for camping.
- Prevents grit and sediments from mixing in your coffee
- Creates fresh and full-flavored coffee
- Rugged and durable construction
- Keeps coffee warm for an hour
- Clean-up and usage are pretty easy
- The lid is somewhat wobbly
3. Primula PCBR-0146 Red Coffee Brew Buddy – Budget-Friendly Pick
- The coffee brew buddy provides a convenient single serve cup of coffee.
- Dishwasher safe.
- Fits most cups or mugs.
- Single cup of coffee at any strength.
- Slim design with fine mesh filter.
When it comes to budget-friendly coffee makers for camping and hiking, one should not miss the Primula PCBR-0146 Red Coffee Brew Buddy. It is a coffee brewer that provides the utmost convenience in making your favorite drink. It is portable and compact; it doesn’t weigh much either.
The quality of the coffee that this drip coffee maker can do is pretty impressive. It produces great-tasting, full-bodied flavor coffee every single time. Keep in mind that it is designed for single use. Hence, its best use is for solo hiking or backpacking.
The Coffee Brew Buddy is not difficult to use. It can easily fit on any mugs and cups. Moreover, it can make coffee at different strengths without any fuss or mess. With its slim design, you can slip this coffee maker in any small purse.
Don’t worry about spills. The rim of this coffee maker is quite broad. It can securely sit on the edge of your cup while it is brewing your favorite drink. The mesh filter works properly, too.
- Lightweight and portable
- Capable of creating full-bodied flavors
- Prevents large sediments from sinking in the cup
- Surprisingly durable and rugged
- Dishwasher safe
- For single use only
4. GSI Outdoors Java Press – Premium Pick
- Silicone-ringed plunger design virtually eliminates coffee “blow by” for the most flavorful, mud-free coffee or tea
- Double-walled, insulated lid and insulated, ballistic nylon-wrapped cozy hold temperature while brewing and serving
- Includes 30 fl. oz. carafe with lid, insulating sleeve and patented plunger mechanism
One of the finest coffee makers that I brought off the grid is the GSI Outdoors Java Press. At first, this coffee maker appears to be bland. But once you try it, you’ll experience its innovative features.
This portable coffee press features a silicone-ringed plunger. It has been designed to remove the annoying coffee “blow-by” so that you can get a flavorful drink minus the mud and grit. Moreover, this coffee maker has a double-wall and insulated construction so that it can keep the hot temperatures for long periods.
The exterior of the GSI Outdoors Java Press is wrapped in ballistic nylon. It doesn’t only add insulation to this device; it also helps in preventing accidental slips while holding it. Even if your hands are wet, the traction in the nylon will prevent the coffee maker from sliding away.
Of course, using this coffee maker is pretty simple. It doesn’t require a quirky setup and operation. All the essential accessories, such as the carafe (with lid) and patented plunger, are included in the package.
- Produces flavorful and full-bodied coffee
- Lightweight and durable
- Maintains hot temperatures for hours
- Slip-free construction
- Good for multiple servings
- It is bigger than other outdoor coffee makers
5. MSR MugMate Coffee/Tea Filter
- Reusable filter fits and stores in almost any mug or cup and features two side tabs that suspend MugMate in hot water for effective steeping
- 150-micron stainless-steel screen and nylon construction is durable for years of faithful use
- Comes with lid to hold in heat while steeping and doubles as base to set filter while enjoying your beverage
- To use, fill with coarse-ground coffee or tea leaves, place into cup or mug, pour boiling water through MugMate then cover with lid and let steep
- For stronger coffee or tea, let MugMate steep longer
I am not afraid to say that the MSR MugMate Coffee/Tea Filter is the best portable one here. It is engineered to be compact and lightweight so that you can carry it conveniently in backpacking and backcountry trips. It also offers a simple solution to enjoy a cup of coffee while you are on the move.
The MSR MugMate comes with reusable filters that are compatible with any mug and cup sizes. It also has two side tabs that ensure that it will be plunged in hot water so that it can steep coffee grounds more effectively.
This entire coffee maker is surrounded by a 150-micron stainless steel screen and nylon. They reinforce this item so that it will remain durable, albeit frequent and extensive use.
The lid of the MSR MugMate is pretty ergonomic. It allows you to hold this device while it is steeping in hot water. At the same time, this lid works as a base, too; you can put your mug here while enjoying the scenery.
- An ideal choice for backpacking
- Simple and hassle-free operation
- Brews full-flavored coffee
- Actually durable and sturdy
- Doesn’t take up storage space
- It doesn’t brew fast
How To Choose The Best Camping Coffee Maker
Humans have been allured to coffee since time immemorial. There’s something about this drink that is truly addicting and irresistible.
In fact, some are no longer functional beings whenever they can’t take a sip of their favorite blend. It is a problem, I suppose, for those who are always up for outdoor adventures but cannot bring their bulky electric brewers from their home.
Luckily, all hope is not lost. You don’t really need to bring your fancy kitchen coffee makers and French press in any of your camping or hiking trips. Honestly, they will just become a burden to you, unless you have a trusty RV where you can easily store them.
For adventures that are strictly for the feet, camping coffee makers are the right choice. And when choosing your first outdoor coffee machine, the following considerations will come crucial.
One of the issues when it comes to outdoor coffee makers is their capacity. Specifically, there’s a limit as to how much coffee they can make in a single brewing.
Some coffee makers are designed for single use. This means that it can only cater to a cup at a time. Of course, it is not an issue if you are alone. However, if you are with a group, then such a coffee maker will become insufficient.
Keep in mind that the steeping time of these conventional hiking coffee makers are not as fast as those electric coffee makers we have at home. Hence, a portable coffee maker with a small capacity will have a hard time satisfying the insatiable thirst of a flock.
No size is wrong. You just have to make sure that your coffee maker will suit your needs and expectations.
When it comes to coffee makers that are for outdoor use, portability is a must. There’s no negotiating this aspect. You need the coffee maker to be portable so that you can bring it to the tallest mountains down to the lowest plains.
Manual or Electric
Of course, you should never choose electric coffee makers here unless you are sure that your camping ground has a power outlet. If it doesn’t have, then you simply have to bring manual coffee makers. C’mon. They are not bad. Furthermore, it doesn’t make sense that you bring a corded machine in the middle of a forest, right?
Portability is also about the size of the coffee maker. If you are going to a backpacking destination, then your coffee maker should have a compact and restricted size. A big one will not fit your pack. And if it does, it will consume a lot of space. Pick something that can be stowed easily so that you’ll encounter any problem.
Bringing a large coffee maker is alright if you have an accessible camping ground. This means that the area where you are going to pitch your tent is near or accessible by a vehicle.
The portability of a coffee maker is also dependent on its weight. As much as possible, you have to pick something that will not add a significant burden to your pack. Keep in mind that these coffee makers are optional accessories. They should never become a cause of inconvenience on your outdoor trip.
Fortunately, there are numerous coffee makers that are designed to be lightweight and easy to carry. Go for them as they will not place you on stress during your trek or hike.
Ease Of Use
There are different ways a coffee maker can be designed. Each of them has its respective pros and cons, and we are quite aware of that. Regardless of the unit that you choose, you have to make sure that it is something that will not give you a headache.
Your goal here is to have a warm cup of coffee whenever you need it at your campsite. If this is something that the coffee maker cannot give, then think twice about getting it.
Different coffee types require a unique brewing process. Therefore, you need to do some trial-and-error to see which one can prepare your favorite coffee the best way possible.
As for now, I highly suggest that you avoid coffee makers that have quirky setup, flimsy construction, and questionable features. They can prevent you from brewing nicely.
Also, the ease of use involves the maintenance and cleaning of the device.
Frequently Asked Questions About The Best Hiking Coffee Makers
Q: Can I use an electric coffee maker in camping or backpacking?
A: If your campsite has a power source, then bringing an electric unit is not a problem. But in most cases, this amenity is absent. So your best option here is still a manual coffee maker.
Q: Can camping coffee makers create full-bodied flavor coffee?
A: Absolutely. These manual coffee makers still have the capability to create delectable drinks out of your coffee ground. You just need the right one to achieve such a feat.
Q: Do these coffee makers break easily?
A: That’s not the case all the time. There are highly durable portable makers in the market today, and you should go for them right from the start!
It is essential that you get the best camping coffee maker for your outdoor trips, especially if you can’t survive a day without your favorite brew. It is an amenity that will complete your adventure. The warm, soothing smoke and the rich flavor of coffee adds to the ambiance that, indeed, you are embraced by nature.
The coffee makers listed here are among the top choices that you have. It would really be great if your hunt starts with them.
I hope you learned from this guide. For other questions, feel free to drop them in the comment section.